- Joe Hill's Locke and Key: A really awesome lovecraftian YA story.
- Matt Fraction & David Aja's Hawkeye run: beautiful, weird, funny, tragic, pretty self-contained. (I've also heard great things about Sex Criminals, but haven't read it yet.)
- G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel: funny, fresh, good representation
- Kelly Sue DeConnick's Bitch Planet: an intense over-the-top geneder dystopia, badass prison story thing
- Gene Luen Yang's Avatar comics are really good. I also loved Boxers and Saints, but I don't know for sure if you'd like it.
I'm also half-tempted to suggest Saga, but I dunno. It's very interesting and well-made, but I find Brian K. Vaughan's stuff often feels a bit trite and with weak endings.